Before your tan
- For best results exfoliate for 2 days prior to your appointment and use a "Tan-Off Mitt". These can be purchased at the Colour Me Bronze Studio.
- On the day of your appointment wash, shower and exfoliate using water only. Do not use any soap or body wash during your shower as these products can leave a barrier on your skin and prevent the full colour from developing.
- Do not shower within 3 hours of your spray tan appointment. If you are having an early morning appointment your last shower should be with water only, so this may mean exfoliating the morning prior to your appointment and washing with water only the evening prior to your appointment.
- Do not wear any makeup, moisturiser, deodorant or perfume to your appointment. Doing so will potentially inhibit the spray tan from developing correctly.
- Wear comfortable, loose, dark clothing to your spray tan session.
- Undertake personal hair removal 24 hours prior to your spray tan appointment.
- If you do wish to shave your legs the day of your spray tan appointment make sure that you give your legs a light exfoliation, to make sure that all excess product has been removed from the skin. We do recommend that you shave your legs the day prior to your appointment though.
Please note: For people with sensitive skin or allergies your Technician can test a patch on the inside of the elbow or behind the knee with our solution.
During your tan
- We will do a full skin analysis and discuss why you are needing a tan prior to spray tanning you. This way we can guarantee the perfect colour for your skin tone.
- You can wear whatever you feel most comfortable in (ie. Lingerie, bikini or nothing). We can also provide you with a disposable g-string if need be.
- The spray will take approximately 15 minutes including drying time.
After your tan
- Wear loose dark clothing after your spray tan, preferably a top where you don't have to put a bra back on. Avoid wearing any tight clothing, including shoes until your tan has developed. Avoid heavy exercising until after your shower. Do not wear red clothing. This can potentially turn the bronzer green whilst it is on your skin prior to showering.
- Do not shower, swim or exercise heavily for 2-6 hours (depending on which solution you have been sprayed with)
- Use body wash rather than soap, or products that do not contain the ingredient SLS.
- During your shower you will notice spray tan solution washing away. Don't worry... this is not your tan coming off, it's just the excess colour guide that is still sitting on your skin.
- When you come out of the shower make sure you pat yourself dry, do not rub yourself dry. Make sure you do this after every shower.
- No products are to be placed on your skin for 24 hours after your spray tan appointment. This includes body wash, soap, deodorant, moisturisers, and hair products. If you wish to wash under your arms and your privates this is fine, but keep all products off the rest of your body until the 24 hour period has passed. This is to ensure that the tan develops as naturally as possible without being inhibited or influenced by products whilst the tan is still in development.
- Moisturise your skin twice daily to maintain your spray tan as long as possible. Do not moisturise until 24 hours has passed. This is to ensure that the tan is fully developed first.
- Colour Me Bronze Professional Tan extender can be used to moisturise your skin whilst prolonging your tan. This great product also has SPF 15. This is best used after Day 3 to avoid saturating your skin with too much DHA too soon.
- Avoid prolonged soaking in water as it dries skin and may fade your spray tan.
- Do not exfoliate your skin until the tan has faded (or just before your next spray tan at Colour Me Bronze tan).
- Your new tan will not provide protection from the harsh UV rays of the sun. Continue to be sun smart.
- Please remember DHA can react for up to 24 hours after being spray tanned. This means that you may not have your full colour straight after your shower... Please allow 24 hours to view your potential full colour. Everybody's skin is different... some people will be lucky enough to have their tan develop in minimal time, others may have to wait the full 24 hour period. This means if you are getting your spray tan for a special event it is best to do so 48 hours (2 days) prior to the event
Determining your skin type for your perfect tan
- There are six skin types categorised by scientists as set out below. Skin type 1 burns most easily and skin type 6 rarely burns. In most cases, individuals think they are one skin type darker than they actually are. If your experience in sun exposure has been moderate, this is easy to do! If you determine that you fall between two skin types described, it is always better to choose the lower value skin type.
- Skin type 1: typically red-blond hair, blue green eyes, very light skin. Skin mostly burns, does not tan.
- Skin type 2: typically light to medium hair, light to medium eyes, light to medium skin. Skin usually burns, seldom tans.
- Skin type 3: typically medium hair, medium to dark eyes, medium to olive skin. Skin moderately burns, usually tans.
- Skin type 4: typically dark hair, dark eyes, dark olive to light brown skin. Skin burns mildly, moderate brown
- Skin type 5: typically dark hair, dark eyes, dark skin. Skin seldom burns, dark brown
- Skin type 6: typically dark hair, dark eyes, very dark skin. Skin insensitive, does not burn.