Before your tan
- For best results exfoliate for 1-2 days prior to your appointment and use a “Tan-Off Mitt”. These can be purchased at the Colour Me Bronze Studio. You can use products to help exfoliate your skin on these days.
- Moisturise heavily the evening prior to your appointment to rehydrate your skin. This will be the last time you use moisturiser until 24 hours after your spray tan appointment. DO NOT use moisturiser on your skin again prior to your spray tan appointment.
- On the day of your appointment wash, shower and lightly exfoliate using water only. Do not use any soap or body wash during your shower as these products can leave a barrier on your skin and prevent the full colour from developing. Washing with products on the day of your appointment can also change the pH level of your skin. Products like body washes/soaps etc are very alkaline (higher pH level) and can cause the skins pH level to rise. Elevated pH levels of the skin can cause a tan to more easily overdevelop and result in a more golden or orange result.
- Do not shower within 3 hours of your spray tan appointment. To get the best results for your spray tan your skins pH level needs to be at it’s standard level of around pH5.5 and skin temperature normal. Using water and/or products can elevate your skins natural pH levels. The higher your skin’s pH is the more chance you have of the tan resulting in a golden or orange result.
- Do not wear any makeup, moisturiser, deodorant or perfume to your appointment. Doing so will potentially inhibit the spray tan from fully developing correctly in the areas where these products are applied.
- Wear comfortable, loose, dark clothing to your spray tan session.
- Undertake personal hair removal a minimum of 24 hours prior to your spray tan appointment.
- We DO NOT recommend shaving your legs the same day as your appointment. If you do wish to do so make sure that you give your legs a light exfoliation (with water only) after shaving to make sure that all excess product has been removed from the skin. However you must not shower or shave your legs within 3 hours of your appointment timeslot . We cannot guarantee a perfect result should you shave the same day as your appointment.
Please note: For people with sensitive skin or allergies your Technician can test a patch on the inside of the elbow or behind the knee with our solution.
During your tan
- We will do a full skin analysis and discuss why you are needing a tan prior to spray tanning you. This way we can guarantee the perfect colour for your skin tone.
- You can wear whatever you feel most comfortable in (ie. Lingerie, bikini or nothing). We can also provide you with a disposable g-string if need be.
- The spray will take approximately 15 minutes including drying time.
After your tan
- Wear loose dark clothing after your spray tan, preferably a top where you don’t have to put a bra back on. Avoid wearing any tight clothing, including shoes until your tan has developed. Avoid heavy exercising until after your shower. Do not wear red clothing. This can potentially turn the bronzer green whilst it is on your skin prior to showering.
- Do not shower, swim or exercise heavily for 2-6 hours (depending on which solution you have been sprayed with)
- Use body wash rather than soap, or products that do not contain the ingredient SLS.
- During your shower you will notice spray tan solution washing away. Don’t worry… this is not your tan coming off, it’s just the excess colour guide that is still sitting on your skin.
- When you come out of the shower make sure you pat yourself dry, do not rub yourself dry. Make sure you do this after every shower.
- No products are to be placed on your skin for 24 hours after your spray tan appointment. This includes body wash, soap, deodorant, moisturisers, and hair products. If you wish to wash under your arms and your privates this is fine, but keep all products off the rest of your body until the 24 hour period has passed. This is to ensure that the tan develops as naturally as possible without being inhibited or influenced by products whilst the tan is still in its development stage.
- Moisturise your skin twice daily to maintain your spray tan as long as possible. Do not moisturise until 24 hours has passed. This is to ensure that the tan is fully developed first.
- Best time to moisturise is straight after a shower. You have a 4 minute window to take advantage of the moisture that has been absorbed into the skin before oxygen will start to withdraw it. Pat yourself dry but leave your skin damp/slightly wet. Moisturise with the water that has been left on the skin. This will break down the product and will make it easier to apply. It will also encapsulate the water left on the skin and what has been absorbed by the skin and give you an added moisturising boost making your spray tan last even longer.
- Colour Me Bronze Professional Tan extender can be used to moisturise your skin whilst prolonging your tan. This great product also has SPF 15. This is best used after Day 3 to avoid saturating your skin with too much DHA too soon.
- Avoid prolonged soaking in water as it dries skin and may fade your spray tan.
- Do not exfoliate your skin until the tan has faded (or just before your next spray tan at Colour Me Bronze tan).
- Your new tan will not provide protection from the harsh UV rays of the sun. Continue to be sun smart.
- Please remember DHA can react for up to 24 hours after being spray tanned. This means that you may not have your full colour straight after your shower… Please allow 24 hours to view your potential full colour. Everybody’s skin is different… some people will be lucky enough to have their tan develop in minimal time, others may have to wait the full 24 hour period. This means if you are getting your spray tan for a special event it is best to do so 48 hours (2 days) prior to the event
Determining your skin type for your perfect tan
- There are six skin types categorised by scientists as set out below. Skin type 1 burns most easily and skin type 6 rarely burns. In most cases, individuals think they are one skin type darker than they actually are. If your experience in sun exposure has been moderate, this is easy to do! If you determine that you fall between two skin types described, it is always better to choose the lower value skin type.
- Skin type 1: typically red-blond hair, blue green eyes, very light skin. Skin mostly burns, does not tan.
- Skin type 2: typically light to medium hair, light to medium eyes, light to medium skin. Skin usually burns, seldom tans.
- Skin type 3: typically medium hair, medium to dark eyes, medium to olive skin. Skin moderately burns, usually tans.
- Skin type 4: typically dark hair, dark eyes, dark olive to light brown skin. Skin burns mildly, moderate brown
- Skin type 5: typically dark hair, dark eyes, dark skin. Skin seldom burns, dark brown
- Skin type 6: typically dark hair, dark eyes, very dark skin. Skin insensitive, does not burn.